Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Blog Hops & Diving

Saturday was interesting. We got invited to go with a group up to Clear Lake (in Oregon). Neither of us had been, so we were excited. I was especially looking forward to there being almost nothing in the way of animals in the water, plus it was supposed to be very clear. I, on the other hand, was not looking forward to temperature of the water...39 degrees definitely isn't warm. Brrr.

I went, got suited up, and got into the water. Talk about shock. Mentally I knew it would be cold, but it was freezing!! Oh, and did I mention that we were doing this in wetsuits and not dry suits? Yeah, a little crazy.
I have to say that it was really beautiful to look at. You could see the bottom of the lake from the shore. Its really THAT clear. When I put my face in the water I was in awe at how beautiful it all was. I, for the first time, was really excited to be diving (you see, there aren't any sharks in a lake so, I knew I was safe).

I had a problem (of course I did! Its me, diving...I can't go a single dive without something happening). My hood was a little big around my forehead. It probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. The hood is supposed to fit against your skin so that it only lets in a little bit of water, that way your body can warm it up and that's what keeps you warm. If it doesn't fit properly, then it will let a bunch of water in and it won't ever get warmed up, which basically means whatever it is that you are wearing is useless.

The hubs and I started to descend. I could feel all the cold, but I was focusing on getting my ears to equalize (unplug). It didn't take long (hello 39 degree water!) and my head felt like a cross between it being in a vice and an all over brain/head freeze. Basically, it hurt. So, we went back up and I explained to Jim what I was feeling. I really wanted to dive so we tried going back down again. We tried three times. By the third time I was almost in tears because it hurt so bad.

We decided that he would swim and catch up with the rest of the group and I would just go back to shore. I was really disappointed. I did watch him swim away (I am telling you it looked amazing under water), then I swam back to the shore. Luckily, I wasn't the only one who was having problems.

Here are some great pics!! :)
This is Jim :)

The boat dock

The hubs again :) 

This is our dive group

I am not giving up. I really want to go back and give it another go. The next time around we are going to go mid summer and I want to wear two hoods...just in case. :)

Photobucket