Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December Beach Day

On Saturday the hubs and I went to the coast with some friends and a couple of the students (also friends) from the youth group. The hubs called it the "polar bear plunge." You would think with a name like that it would have scared people away...and maybe it did, but we still ended up with ten of us driving over to the coast. I had been going back and forth trying to decide if I was going in the water or not. I decided once we got there that I was not getting in that water! :)

The water was rough because of a storm from earlier that morning. Nobody seemed to care that it looked pretty intense or that the first rental shop we went to wouldn't even rent to us due to the conditions of the weather. I tell you, they would not be deterred! We found another shop that would rent to us and we were good to go. They ran into the water like crazy animals! I have to say that, those of us who were not quite as crazy, got a big kick out of watching them.  We stayed on the shore and stayed dry, well, mostly.





I wore my rain boots. I did this for two reasons 1) it was supposed to rain the entire time we were there and I am fond of being dry and 2) if they got dirty I wouldn't care (I really don't like sand). As I was standing there taking pictures of everyone I had a "brilliant" idea. I could walk into the water to get up-close pictures and not get wet because I was wearing my rain boots. I have to say I was quite pleased with myself and my little "plan." I had been walking in and out of the water for a little bit, taking pictures of those in the water and those on land. I went back in to the water and that's when my plan stopped working.

I was in the middle of taking a picture when a swell of water came rushing towards me (I would love to say it was a wave, but I can't. It would make for a far better story though)! I realized that the water was rising just a tad too late. The water came rushing over and inside my rain boots!  I came jumping out of the water trying not to let more water in. Luckily for me, (and too bad for my friends because, trust me, it was a ridiculous sight to see) I made it out of he water without anyone seeing.


Being the planner that I am, I brought an extra pair of socks and shoes, but not an extra pair of pants. The pants weren't  that wet, but looked horrible because I was wearing ankle pants with athletic shoes. Makes you cringe huh?!


Now I know for next time (and they are already planning for it) that: rain boots don't make me invincible to rushing water, if you plan ahead...plan ALL the way ahead, and it might be okay for people to look weird at the coast, but ankle pants and athletic shoes don't go together no matter where you are. :)



Please VOTE for my blog! :) 
Photobucket
To-the-TOP Tuesday
Photobucket