Thursday, October 21, 2010

Differences

Have you ever noticed that when you travel state to state that the weirdest things change?



For instance, my friend pointed out that when I am referring to a freeway or highway that I say "the" before it...the 5, the 99, the 22, etc. I never noticed because that's how people in California refer to it. In Oregon they say I-5, highway 22, highway 34, etc.I can't tell you how many times people have thought I was talking about the time or something else. Its like I was speaking gibberish and they just stared at me. :)







Also, in California people refer to freeway exits by their street names and (most) people in Oregon refer to the exit number/mile marker. Talk about rocking my world! I didn't even know California had mile markers until I moved out of the state! How sad is that??

It just makes me laugh that something so minor can be so different and confusing. It's almost like learning another language (or at least feels like it sometimes). 

What are some differences you have noticed from state to state?



Photobucket

Obviously MARvelous