So, this happened four years ago. I had been at my (current) job for about a week or two. I went to the break room prepared my easy mac, popped it into the microwave and started chatting with co-workers while waiting the 3 1/2 minutes it takes to cook. After a while we start smelling something burning and then realize that there was smoke billowing out of the microwave!
All at once I realized what I did before I ever made it to the microwave and yelled, "I forgot to add water!!" I ran over and yanked the, little charred and deformed, bowl out of the microwave. I kept apologizing and was fighting tears all the while trying to clean up the disaster of a mess, but the black was actually burned onto all the sides and the glass as well.
I left the office to grab lunch and call the hubs and, while sobbing, explained what had happened. I apologized for going out to lunch even though I had just killed my lunch. He tried not to laugh because he knew how upset I was. He didn't do a very good job. :)
When I got back to work the whole upstairs smelled of burnt easy mac (the vent from the break room goes straight upstairs...hooray for us.). I felt awful for everyone having to smell it all day. And the next day. And the next. They were all gracious and just kept making sure I was okay.
What was even worse was the next day I came in and there was a new microwave. I literally killed it and it couldn't be used any more. I was horrified! I went to my boss and offered to pay for it, since it was my fault, but she told me that it was "old and needed to be replaced anyways." I found out a couple of years later that she made that up and I really did kill it.
Now anytime I make easy mac, people always remind me to add water. Apparently, easy make isn't so easy.
Have you ever done anything like that?
Rankings have been reset, so please VOTE for my blog! :)